Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Back to the grind stone

I'm back at work now, snuggled comfortably behind my desk. I got eight hours of sleep last night.
Yeah, life is normal again. It'll take awhile to get used to.
The MilJo Workshop was a great experience that really pumped me up and got me even more excited about my job. They (the editors) haven't yet decided whether to make me the military reporter (seems there are others with interest in that), but I'm sure I'll at least be keeping up with the Coast Guard in our area now. And, now, I feel prepared to do that.
I think we had an awesome group of people and I'd like to keep in touch with all of you.
Thanks to KU, CGSC, Ft. Leonard Wood, the McCormick Foundation and especially Tom. He kept us organized, on schedule and, despite a rifle butt stroke to the chin, managed not to lose a single journalist. Not for long, anyway.
This meant a lot to me and to our entire newsroom. With budgets like they are, a free trip sometimes means the difference between training and no training at all.
Hooah!
-- Amy Hotz

3 comments:

  1. Me too. Tara Puckey made a wonderful video of us at http://gallery.me.com/tarapuckey#100095

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings, I am student in the Command and Staff. It was intersting to hear the relationship perception between Militiary and Media. I am intersted in knowing more on how to improve the relationship. What are the thougts of having a reporter as part of the military unit in the combat field? Is it good or not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a good experience to have a journalist in with the unit for all parties involved, for a variety of reasons. I'm just down the road in Topeka and cover Fort Leavenworth on a regular basis. I would be willing to chat with you sometime about this relationship if you are ever interested. Lt. Col. Steffy can hook us up.

    ReplyDelete